2020 State & Precinct Committeemen/Committeewomen Overview
- In Presidential Election years, the positions of Precinct Committeeman and Precinct Committeewoman are up for election for every precinct within each respective county. Note, in addition to Precinct Committeeman and Precinct Committeewoman, the Republican Party of Florida has State Committeeman and State Committeewoman positions.
- To qualify for the position, a registered voter with the Democratic Party or Republican Party would file a Candidate Oath for Precinct Committeemen or Committeewomen (DS-DE 305CM) for his/her respective party and with their respective county Supervisor of Elections.
- Typically, the local executive political committees collect the forms and file them with the Supervisor of Elections Offices prior to the deadline (NOON - June 12, 2020). However, anyone may file his/her form directly with the elections office.
- The number of precinct committeemen and committeewomen who may qualify for each precinct is determined by each state political party’s by-laws.
- If the number of qualified precinct committeemen or committeewomen does not exceed the number of positions for a precinct, then no election is needed. However, if the number of qualified precinct committeemen or committeewomen does exceed the number of positions for a precinct, then the contest will appear on the Primary Election, August 18, 2020 ballot. Pursuant to Florida law, precinct committeemen and committeewomen are not considered candidates. Therefore, machine and manual recounts are not permitted.
- Processes for conducting these elections are done in accordance with Florida law and each political party’s by-laws.
2020 State & Precinct Committeemen/Committeewomen Qualifying Requirements
Pre-Qualifying/Qualifying Dates for State & Precinct Committeemen/Committeewomen
NOON, June 8, 2020 - NOON, June 12, 2020*Pre-Qualifying papers will be accepted beginning May 26, 2020
NOTE: F.S. 99.061(8) states that qualifying papers may be submitted to the qualifying officer beginning 14 days prior to the qualifying period.
*Pinellas County Elections Offices will be CLOSED in observance of Memorial Day on Monday, May 25, 2020.
Please call (727) 464-4987 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
to make an appointment to file your qualifying forms.
Qualifying Forms for State & Precinct Committeemen/Committeewomen
A membership loyalty oath/application may be required as part of qualifying for these positions. Contact the Pinellas County Democratic/Republican Executive Committee or Democratic/Republican Party of Florida for more information (contact information below).
Additional Forms (Optional)
State & Local Political Party Contact Information